Thursday, December 8, 2011

Triumph over the holidays

What is the deal with the holidays and over indulgence? Every time you turn around someone is presenting you with a new sweet treat. Cookies in the office kitchen, elegant dessert spreads at the young couples gathering at church, cookies and cakes during office lunches. Sadly, it’s not just the holidays. When we get together with friends we meet for dinner or we go out for ice cream. We even take people food when they have babies or are recovering from an illness. Why is it that food is the way we express our joy, excitement, love, or whatever emotion the occasion calls for? Why don’t we get together to go for walks? Why don’t we meet at the gym? Why don’t we just get together to play games and hangout-without food? No wonder so many people-myself for sure included-struggle with their weight, and the adventure of losing it. Food is everywhere. This holiday season I vow to take control over myself and not get so bogged down and overwhelmed with the food. I don’t need the cookie in the conference room. I don’t need the brownies sweet Mrs. Johnson baked. I need to continue down the pathway set before me that is my journey to a healthier me. I need to drop several, okay lots, of pounds to ensure that my body is in the best place health wise when Michael and I start trying to have a baby. No one can lose this weight for me and certainly no one is going to carry that baby for me either! Nope, it’s all up to me. [Now if only I can get my enormous sweet tooth on board this motivation train!] I’ve been going strong with this Turbo Fire/ChaLEAN extreme workout journey. I’ve been watching what I eat-although I haven’t been as strict as I should be. However, as of Tuesday I am tracking weight watchers points-using the old system-and trying to get that under control too. Another thing I vow to do during this holiday season- and really for a period even longer than that-is to put away my scale. Why is it that we “measure” our self-worth based on that number? That number doesn’t determine who I am. It doesn’t control the person I want to be. But somehow it manages to weasel its way into my every thought. Today I was up, yesterday I was down, and tomorrow I’ll be the same. It’s a never ending, vicious cycle. Well, no more. I’m putting it away. I do not need that stupid, petty, unfriendly piece of glass to tell me who I am. I’m going to continue working hard, eating right, and making sure that the choices I’m making are choices that will make me healthier. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure I’ll indulge in a cookie here, a slice of cake there-I am after all a woman! However, I’m not going to feel guilty about those choices, because I am doing extremely intense workouts and making healthy food choices at all other times. I mean, this is a lifestyle change and let’s be real honest, what is a life without a sweet here and there? But, that also doesn’t mean I need it every day, even every other day. In moderation, right? I mean, the end all goal of this is a healthier me. A healthier me so I can create an environment as healthy as possible for our future baby to grow in. What better motivation could there be? I just need to keep my “eye on the prize” and not be so focused on the “results.” I know that change is coming-I’ve seen small glimpses of it already. And I know, even though I can’t seem to muster up those thoughts when I’m standing on the scale, thatchange doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a slow, steady race, one that this time around I’m going to WIN! So, Holiday season, you will not beat me. I will remain strong. I will continue to push through my workouts. And next month when you’ve left us, I will not feel guilty because you defeated me. I will WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment