Thursday, March 10, 2011

Back in the swing of things!

Seriously, where does the time go? I just realized that I haven’t made a single post in nearly a week. A WEEK. Man, this working 40 hours a week thing is really affecting my ability to get things like this done. I mean, it’s already Thursday. It seems like just yesterday was the weekend.

I am happy to report, though, that it has not affected my ability to track and stay on target. In fact, I’ve been having a pretty great week this week. Several days I’ve even been under my daily target because at the end of the day I was totally satisfied and couldn’t possibly even give a second thought to putting additional food in my body.

I’m still holding strong on my “no weigh in” policy I adopted a week or so ago; well at least I’m trying to hold strong. It seems like every time I pass the scale it is taunting me: just step on and see what you weigh, you can do it, one foot at a time. However, after my total obsession with the scale a few weeks ago I think it’s healthy to avoid the temptation and focus on other things like the inches I’m losing all over!

In other update related news I just recently signed up to walk the Susan G. Komen 60 Miles for a Cure Breast Cancer 3 Day, and I’m getting super excited. It’s such an amazing cause (my grandmother is a breast cancer survivor), every time I hear the commercials I tear up. I think it’s going to be one of those incredible life experiences that only come along every so often. It’s also given me the extra motivation I needed to become serious about my working out again. While I was already walking (a few days a week) and occasionally lifting weights, preparing to walk 60 miles has given me that extra boost to step up my game. Thankfully Day Light Savings happens this weekend (it couldn’t have come at a better time) so I’ll have an extra hour in the evenings (getting home from work and trying to get my walk in before it gets dark has been quite a battle this week because their just aren’t enough hours in the day to get done with everything I need to get done) to walk just a little further! I signed up on Monday and since then I’ve walked almost 9 miles. I have about 30 more weeks to get prepared for the journey and I can’t wait!

Hopefully this experience will help me find that extra “boost” in my weight loss journey as well. I have really loved it this go round. Last time I was serious about Weight Watchers I was super committed to going to meetings and a bit OCD about tracking. Sadly, often I found myself (as in I’ve been reflecting on my last go round in the last few months) eating foods that weren’t necessarily the best options health wise but options that were easy to track (Smart Ones; Chick-fil-A; WW muffins, snacks, ice creams-you get the point). This attempt has been SO different. I’m preparing a lot more foods at home. I’m not filling my pantry and freezer with those overly processed, easy to prepare meals. I’m buying tons more fresh produce and filling my day with fruits (something that NEVER happened last time because they were a “waste” of points-thank goodness the new plan has FREE fruit) and vegetables. I’m making sure to be more active and be intentional with my activities. The side effects? I have way more energy. I feel way better health wise (not filling up with preservatives and other crap). I’m sleeping better. I’m losing inches. I’m creating a LIFESTYLE not sticking to a diet. It’s amazing to go back to my old food journal and compare it to my current journal. Have you done that recently? Ever? Are you making any changes in your life to make your journey more sustainable?

I do have to admit my one struggle with the new plan: With the old plan I saw results much quicker. It seemed like the weight was just falling off. This go round has been quite different though. I’ve had losses anywhere from .4 lbs up to 3 lbs. I’ve been up (remember that 5 lb gain week-the one that created the obsession????). I’ve been seriously tracking for nearly 2 months and I’m right around 10 lbs lost. With the old plan by month two I had already lost nearly 20 lbs. I know I shouldn’t get frustrated and I definitely know this isn’t a race-I know the loss will come. I also know that my body is going to be much better off once I reach my goal this time vs. where it would have been last time (again, I’m eating way way way better). I just have to continually remind myself: ONE DAY AT A TIME. Why is it that when we make any kind of attempts in our life if we don’t see immediate results and get immediate gratification we are unhappy and feel like we’ve failed? Does anyone else feel that way?

It will not hold me back! I will continue to push on! Until next time [I say next time because at this rate who knows when it will be (= ]: good eats!

(I’ll give you Tuesday and Wednesday’s Food Breakdown)

Tuesday:

Breakfast was a fruit smoothie made with frozen strawberries, a banana, and 1 c OJ with a splash of water. (3 points for the OJ)

Snacks during the day include homemade sweet potato chips (basically just sliced and baked with nothing added) for 2 points; a mixture of banana, strawberry and 2% Greek Yogurt (1/8 c) for 0 points; and Trader Joe’s spinach dip with carrots (4 points).

Lunch was a Boca Fake Chicken patty on a plain bagel thin with pickles. (7points-3 for the chicken and 3 for the bagel thin and 1 for mayo)

Dinner was a delicious combo of spaghetti squash (amazing alternative to HIGH in points pasta) for 0 points, with homemade chicken meatballs (combined ground chicken with grated parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, oregano, and basil) at 1.6 points each (I had 2 for 3.2 points) and marinara sauce (3 points). I was going to make a second bowl (because I budgeted for 4 meatballs) but after the first bowl I was STUFFED. As far as the squash is concerned it was SUPER easy to make because we just cut it in half, scraped out the seeds and gook with an ice cream scoop, put it in the microwave and let it cook for 8-10 minutes. After it cooks you let it cool a bit then you use a fork to sort of scrape the insides out and it looks like spaghetti noodles. For a bonus it tastes way better than a bland bowl of pasta too!

That was a total of 22.2 points for the day leaving me with 6.8 left over (again, I was completely stuffed and satisfied and couldn’t have imagined having another bite).

Wednesday:

Breakfast was quite the treat yesterday. I had steak (4 oz) and eggs (1 whole egg and 2 whites, scrambled) for 8 points. No we don’t usually make steak for breakfast but we accidentally forgot we sat steaks out the other day and had to cook them but we’d already made other dinner plans so we just decided to have them for breakfast (only legit because the steaks were from the whole ribeye we bought several weeks ago for 40 bucks and cut up and individually froze).

Snacks during the day included raspberries and blueberries with 1/8 cup of yogurt (0 points) and on the way home from work I had ¼ c of raw cashews (4 points) and grapes.

Lunch was an old favorite p-nutty chicken wraps (minus the wraps). It’s a combination of broccoli slaw, 2 T peanut butter (I used almond butter this time though), and 3 T thai sweet chili sauce and chicken (I divided the mixture into two so Michael could have lunch too). You put it all in a bowl, mix it up, and ta-da! The total recipe breaks down like this: broccoli slaw was 0, the almond butter 5, the thai chili sauce 3, and the 4 oz of chicken 4 for a total of 12. Since I divided it in half my lunch was 6 points.

Dinner was another old favorite: maple/soy/garlic (marinated over night) salmon with 2/3 c of rice and fresh steamed green beans (all of which was cooked and ready for me when I got home last night from ladies’ small group-BEST.HUSBAND.EVER) The fish was 5 points, the rice 3.5, and the green beans 0 for a total of 8.5 points.

The days total point value was 26.5 leaving me with 2.5 points left over (again, not another bite was doable!)

No comments:

Post a Comment