Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Changes

Spring is fast approaching. If you live anywhere near Atlanta you probably feel like it’s already been here for about a month. Yes we have our back and forth cold then warm (as is usual with this crazy state and its weather) but for the most part the last month has been AMAZING. You can definitely tell spring is here too because there are way more people out and about in the afternoons.

Recently Michael and I have been putting greater effort into discovering the local parks around us (Gwinnett County has done a phenomenal job with the park and recs throughout the county). In fact, we’ve found 4 wonderful parks within just 6 miles of our house. The park we discovered just a few days ago has been our favorite so far. It has a walking trail (perfect for me), a dog park (would be perfect but Jake HATES the dog park), playground areas (perfect for future additions), a skate park (I didn’t even know these still existed), picnic areas (tables and field space), grassy areas (perfect for the hubby and his Frisbee needs), a basketball court (perfect for me-I miss those days), and a general since of being a great park (perfect for ANYONE)!

Warmer weather means more time outdoors and more time outdoors means more time dedicated to reaching my goal. All around it’s a win-win for me. In the last week I’ve walked upwards of 15 miles with plans to only increase that number as the weeks progress towards my 3 day walk in October. The pending walk has been such a motivator. Each day I get home from work (weather permitting) I lace up my shoes, grab Jake’s leash, and out the door we go to hit the trail. Daylight savings time has been such a blessing. It gives me a much needed extra hour of daylight in the afternoons that allows me to get the stuff I need to get done at home before my walk done and still enjoy plenty of daylight for the perfect walk. While my sleep pattern didn’t like adjusting to it (who knew just one measly hour could wreak so much havoc on one’s life???) my weight loss and workout patterns LOVED it. Have any of you taken advantage of the extra daylight? How?

What’s interesting is that in the previous weeks whenever I missed out on posting I felt tremendously guilty. I felt like I was somehow cheating on myself and my efforts, despite the fact that I was fully tracking, working out, and all around doing well with the plan. Ironic. However, somewhere between the guilt and today I’ve discovered a state of no longer feeling any guilt at all. I’ve packed my evenings with walks, spending time with the hubby, getting stuff done around the house, and even getting ready for the next day-none of which left any time for posts. While I love this blog and what it has done for me in the recent months, I no longer feel an OBLIGATION to post every single day. As such, I will be changing my “commitment” to this blog and it will become a for sure once a week post and hopefully (time willing) I’ll find an opportunity to post here and there throughout the week as well in addition to the once weekly post. I mean, we only have this life to live once, so I’m going to LIVE it! Hopefully this will also help with the large writers’ block I’ve had of late.

The blog will still be filled with my thoughts on food, working out, and my journey but it is going to morph into less of a daily food breakdown and more into my weekly victories (scale or non-scale related) and my favorite meals throughout that week. That’s more of a lifestyle than the DAILY posting. To me that was becoming an obsession and quite honestly the break has been kind of nice. Don’t fret, this in no way means I’m going to stop doing my daily tracking or working out. Until next time: good eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment