Saturday, January 29, 2011

Spring Fever

As I checked the weather channel app on my phone this morning and it reported to me that today in Lawrenceville and the rest of the surrounding area will be having temperatures in the low to mid 60s I began to get a touch of spring fever. Michael and I have already made plans for the day that involve being outdoors for the majority of the day. On that to do list is a run and trail hiking at Stone Mountain. Notice I said run first. I’m not exactly looking forward to that. While I always played sports growing up, each of them consisting of a good deal of running, running was never my thing. In basketball there is a strategy. You run plays. Sure you are running up and down a court for 40 minutes but there are the occasional time-outs, fouls, the not so uncommon “injuries” and what not-not just straight running. My husband on the other hand was a cross country runner in high school. You guessed it, he runs for pleasure. I just don’t understand the concept. He keeps trying to convince me that if I run for 3 weeks straight (well every day for 3 weeks at least) that I will get in shape and I will begin to, get this, LOVE running. LAUGH. There is no part of me-past or present-that has ever loved running. However, I told him I’d give it a try. Now, the former athlete in me decided that we needed to run road races-start with a 5K and work up to a 10K-so as to give me something to be running for-a little competition if you will- and not just be outdoors running. In my opinion, why run when I can walk vigorously and still enjoy the scenery! Anybody with me? Hoover, I know you are! Anybody else? At least I got a new pair of tennis shoes out of it; however, the girl in me is thinking “I don’t want them to get dirty” and of course Michael’s reply is, “they are running shoes, they are supposed to be dirty.”

However, running and hiking aren’t the only things the 60 degree weather evokes thoughts of. I long for the days of spring when everything is in bloom and the dead, dreariness of winter is gone. I want to hear birds chirping, see the grass green again, see leaves on trees, and flowers blooming. I want to be able to leave our windows and sliding doors open and have the fresh (warm) air flowing through the house! On a completely separate hand, I can’t wait to pull out all the spring/summer clothes that have been long packed away. The dresses, the skirts, the tank tops-no more layers! And this is where we come to food. Do any of you stand in the mirror when getting ready and critique every aspect of the outfit you are wearing? How many times do you change before going out? Do you check your reflection in mirrors, building windows and whatnot as you pass by? All too often I catch myself doing several, if not all, of those things. Hopefully by following my journey, you have found the motivation to continue (or even re-start) your tracking-or whatever method you are using; it’s definitely been a great motivation for me. In fact, last night as we had some friends over I got the chance to explain just how much of a motivation this has been. Hopefully you can find your reasons to give up the excuses. Trust me, I spent the last 2 years making them and feeling pretty terrible about it. What’s keeping you from tracking consistently? What’s helping keep you motivated? For me, my motivation comes from this blog-and from the knowledge that when I reach my “lifetime goal” I’m going on a cruise with my hunky hubby and I’m wearing that 2 piece I’ve had hanging in my closet for years. In fact, it’s no longer hanging in the closet. That’s right, I pulled it out and hung it on the wall downstairs where we workout so as to be a constant reminder of what I’m working for! More importantly that a 2 piece and a cruise, I’m doing this to be healthy. In a few years Michael and I will attempt to have babies and I want to ensure that my body is the best possible environment for a baby to grow in-not to mention I just want to be in a better place health wise overall! That’s what this is really about. Bettering my health and by doing so bettering my future! What are your reasons for doing this? If you are struggling with your tracking or your motivation right now take baby steps. Set some goals-start small than think big. Be reasonable about them. Get a buddy. Find your motivator-bathing suits, cruises, babies and better health are mine. What are yours? You can do this! The only one that can help you reach your goals is YOU! The rest of us are here for support as you make your way to it! Until tomorrow, wishing you all good eats! Now get out there and enjoy the weather!

Friday Food Breakdown

Breakfast was the same as the last several days-oatmeal with all the fixings for 8 points. I’m telling you, I’ve never really been in love with oatmeal but add some fresh fruit, some nuts, and some chocolate chips and you’ve got a winner!

Lunch I went a little over the top with and had a Dr. Rosen Rosen salad from Doc Greens. Unfortunately I didn’t check the website for nutritional information prior to ordering to know it was 20 points (that knowledge came after I got home and ate it). I know for next time-stick to the build your own salad and stay away from the buffalo chicken!

Dinner was a blend of chicken/steak/veggie kabobs with rice. It was super delicious! It accounted for 8 points 7 of which came from my weekly extra points. For dessert I made a Classic Pudding Pie for 5.5 points.

Classic Pudding Pie

2 boxes of Jell-o’s Fat Free/Sugar Free Vanilla instant pudding

2 ¾ cups of milk (I used 2%)

Nilla Wafer (or graham cracker) crust pre-made

½ tub of cool whip

Fruit topping of choice

Mix together the two boxes of pudding mix and milk. Pour into crust. Place in fridge to set. Top with fruit (I used fresh blueberries) and then “frost” with cool whip! I also had a few chocolate chips to the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment