Friday, January 21, 2011

We are beautiful and our body deserves it...

I recently graduated with my BBA and I’m waiting to start a new job—that is, if the guy ever contacts me with a start date! So, in the last month I have found myself stuck in the house quite a bit. The first few days weren’t so bad, but those few days turned into Snowpocalypse 2011 and I was snowed into my house for an entire week. I couldn’t have gone out to run an errand or walk the dog if I wanted to. Snow week drifted into another week which brings us up to date and this week, once again, I’m in the house. It could have been a great opportunity to do laundry, clean the house, organize, etc…except we just moved into a new house and if any of you reading this know me at all, you know those things are already done. So, I’ve had a LOT of time to catch up on hulu, Netflix, and the books I’m reading. Suffice to say, I’ve also had plenty of time to think about food. My current guilty pleasure in the literary column is The End of Overeating, a book by David A. Kessler, MD. In the book he discusses how the food industry has taken it upon themselves to enhance our food experiences-through the use of added salt, fat, sugar, and now chemical flavorings. Is there no food that’s safe? Part of the book discusses different restaurants and how they prepare their meals. I’m sorry, how they thaw and then re-fry their meals. While I haven’t quite finished the book, it has definitely opened my eyes. I knew what was happening but I wanted to ignore it because let’s just be honest those hamburgers at Chili’s and the buffalo wings at Taco Mac are just far too yummy to say no to-until now! I’m taking a stand. I deserve better than that. My body deserves better than that. I can make burgers, chicken, salads, anything yummier and healthier than I can buy at any restaurant. Why should I sacrifice my health for convenience? Do any of you ever find yourself stopping at a restaurant to eat simply because it’s easier? Just think: no cooking, no cleaning, and delivered right to you. But if your dining out experience is anything like ours, it’s never that simple. Something always comes out wrong- the meats get over cooked, they put the dressing on the salad instead of on the side, the kid in the booth behind you won’t turn around and leave you alone and his little brother is crying. Ambiance and romance don’t stand a chance in that environment, not to mention my sanity! All this to say the Foxes will not be visiting any chain restaurants any time in the near future.

While we won’t be visiting any restaurants, we will be visiting with a lot of friends. With the holidays and the weather and the craziness that has been our lives since we bought our house and moved, I haven’t really had an opportunity to see a lot of our friends, much less have them over. Well, that all changes this weekend. No more just “stuck in the house”! I get to play hostess-one of my favorite things in the entire world! Tomorrow afternoon our old small group is finally coming over to see the new house and to warm it up by praying over it and some good old fashion fellowship. However, along with that of course comes: the snacks. I can’t help it-it’s just the hostess in me. So of course tonight during girls night there will be baking. I’m going to put my will power to the test tonight and tomorrow though and opt for only 1 slice of yummy delicious red velvet cake (unfortunately the recipe is a friend’s secret) and then only fruits and veggies for me! Luckily, I get to control the menu! Often, in groups, I find myself overwhelmed by the food and the choices and eat without giving it thought-it’s just a hand to mouth reaction. Do any of you find it harder to control what you eat in a “social gathering” type setting? Thankfully not only do I have myself, but I have you guys to keep me accountable! Bring on the social gatherings! Check in on Sunday to read my success (fingers crossed) story!

Now for the good stuff- the breakdown of yesterday’s foods:

For breakfast I had a plain bagel with 1 oz of regular cream cheese. That equated to 10 points (7 for the bagel and 3 for the CC) and 340 calories.

For lunch I rambled through the fridge and came up with cheesy pigs-in-a-blanket. I used Hebrew National 97% FF hotdogs (2), an off brand of crescent rolls (2), and 1 oz of a cheddar cheese block and paired with a cup and a half of fresh pineapple. All rolled together and baked put me at 11 points for the 2 PIAB at 390 calories and 0 points and 124 calories for the pineapple.

For snack I had one of my childhood favorites: an apple with 1 T of peanut butter and 1/3 of a cup of marshmallows. That made for one extremely delicious treat that equaled 4 points (3 for the PB and 1 for the marshmallows) and 240 calories.

For dinner we made a beef and rice bowl which equated to 10 points and 554 calories. The beef we got as a pre-marinated beef from an Asian grocery store near our house and the rice we used was a simple long grain white rice that we cooked in our rice cooker (our favorite kitchen gadget as of late)! I also added ½ c of canned corn for 90 calories.

For the day, that put me at 35 points and 1738 calories. The additional calories (since my daily intake is supposed to be 1448) came from the 35 minute high impact power 90 sweat workout calculated at 348 calories thanks to my handy iPhone app “Lose It!”. What I find interesting is that while I was only 1 point over my WW target and didn’t have to calculate for exercise, with my calorie counting I was 300+ calories over and had to add in my exercise. The difference? Fruit and veggies. WW doesn’t make me count for fruit and veggies, but what I ate yesterday accounted for 309 of my daily calories-21% of my daily total.

How are you guys doing with your tracking? With your goals? Are you sticking with it? Are you living in denial? Hopefully this blog is helping with motivation-I know it is for me!

1 comment:

  1. This is my first week on the new plan, so I feel like I've done really well with 34 extra weekly points going into the weekend. But that means I've had 15 already... And today, I'm down to 5 pre-dinner and am extremely hungry. This is no good. On the plus side, I've given up alcohol until the wedding. Drinking always killed my points, so I should be able to survive the weekend and still stay within my points. As for that yummy red-velvet cake, doesn't the act of baking it counterbalance a slice? In terms of calories I mean. Maybe we can throw aside the hand mixer and use the whip instead. That may help mitigate some calories (at least those gained while licking the bowl). :)

    ReplyDelete