Friday, January 28, 2011

What happened to my routine?

Wouldn’t you know the day after I dedicate a post to routine my evening last night and this morning has been anything but. Serves me right I guess! Last night was crazy. I got a call from the hubby letting me know that he wouldn’t be home FOR A WHILE. I took it upon myself to make dinner, pack it up, drive to his office, and have dinner with him there. I then packed everything back up, got back in my car, and made the 30 minute drive home-to an empty house. Well, Jake is here-but he doesn’t talk back! All of you that know me know I’m a talker. I’m also one that craves attention. Michael and I always argue about the fact that as soon as he walks in the door (regardless of whether I’ve been at school, work, hanging out with friends, or if I’ve spent the entire day home alone) I am demanding his attention and affection. That’s just the way I’m built. Something about human interaction says Candace Fox. Needless to say, Michael got home this morning at 4:30-not much time for that interaction.

My morning wasn’t so routine either. Because he worked until the early hours of the morning, Michael slept in and we got to have breakfast together. Well, I made him breakfast and then made myself breakfast as he ate-close enough. Once I got him out the door and off to work the dirtiness that was my home (it wasn’t that bad-just dirtier than I prefer) had to be taken care of. The rest of my morning was filled with vacuuming, dusting, wiping, folding, organizing (hey that shelf in my closet finally got the attention it so badly needed), and general cleaning-I had to scrub the carpet in our downstairs room because our dog (who is 6 and hasn’t used the bathroom inside for 5 and a half years) must have been sick while I was out of town because he pooped in our floor (a lot of deodorizing was in order). At least it’s done now-I can sit back, relax, and enjoy this weekend with the hubby without worrying about any chores.

All this to say: being a “housewife” or in the future a stay at home mommy just doesn’t seem to fit the bill for me. After 4 weeks of staring at the same 4 walls (well we have quite a bit more than 4, but you get the idea) and not having anything to do or be responsible has started to eat away at me. My days are filled with thoughts of food, what meals to prepare, what errands to run. Do you ever feel that way when you have some time off? I’m over it. Time to get back to the daily grind! Thank goodness the phone call I’ve been waiting on finally came in yesterday-I will be starting my “temporary” position next Thursday. Bring on the dressing up, putting on makeup, being out of the house for multiple hours at a time, and the financial rewards that come with it! What things would you be excited about if you’d been out of “commission” for a few days/weeks/months? I’m most excited about the idea of filling my mind with marketing and not food! It should be interesting to see where the blog goes when my day is no longer filled with food but is instead overrun with CRM and other marketing related ideas!

Thursday’s Food Breakdown:

Breakfast was again my oatmeal concoction. Exactly the same as the day before. Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! It was 8 points.

Lunch was another package of sushi I picked up at H-Mart because I had to go get some ingredients for a soup Michael and I are going to attempt to make. 24 pieces for 12 points.

Snack was a mixed berries and yogurt blend. 1 point. 3 T of chocolate chips for 6 points.

Dinner was a chicken casserole I’ve made oh-so-many times but last night I actually calculated the recipe for points value instead of my usual guesstimating! Thanks for answering your phone in my time of need, Hoover! It makes 8 servings at 9 points each but you can make it into more servings for less points/serving. I added a cup of rice for 5 points. My dinner total was 14 points (12 of which came from my extra weekly points).

Chicken Casserole Recipe

2 cans (15 oz) cream of chicken soup

16 oz package of lite sour cream (regular is a little better taste, FF is a lot nicer for points)

1 onion; chopped for hotdogs (tiny cubes)

15-20 oz of boneless, skinless chicken breast

Poppy seeds (as many as you like)

1/8 c butter

1 sleeve Ritz crackers

1. boil chicken (20-ish minutes)

2. sauté the onion in EVOO

3. mix soups and sour cream

4. add onion once you are finished sautéing

5. remove chicken from water and let cool

6. once cool, cut chicken into small cubes

7. add chicken to soup, sour cream, onion mixture

8. add poppy seeds

9. pour mixture into glass baking dish and bake for 30-ish minutes at 375

10. crumble ritz and melt butter while waiting

11. after 30-ish minutes remove glass dish and top with crumbled ritz and pour melted butter on top

12. bake 10-ish more minutes and then ENJOY!

***We serve it over rice because it adds a little to the dish and helps with leftovers***

No comments:

Post a Comment