Sunday, February 6, 2011

Another weekend come and gone...where does the time go?

Wow, Sunday 9PM. Where in the world did the weekend go? It seems like just yesterday I was getting excited about date night and having people over for some good fellowship and now it’s already over and it’s back to work in the morning. I definitely understand “working for the weekend” now-on a whole NEW level! Even though it has come and gone it has definitely been a great weekend. As reported in Friday’s post, Michael and I went out for our date lunch yesterday and it was DELICIOUS. We went to the Atlanta Fish Market and went all out. No, your eyes are not deceiving you-we spent $73 on lunch (well we had a gift card-that’s the only reason we got to partake in such an awesome lunch). We planned this date day prior to my weekly weigh in and prior to my weekly extra points rolling over. So, going into this week I knew that I wasn’t going to be using any extra points until date day. Generally that would have been a difficult task but this week, feeling extra motivated as I have the last few weeks, it was no problem. In fact, several days I was under my daily points target. Anywho, we got to the restaurant and I fully intended to take advantage of all the extra points I’d been hoarding all week but as I had the menu in front of me I suddenly realized that I didn’t want to go crazy and eat loads of fried foods dripping with fat and salt and instead I decided to be reasonable. I used lots of points but I used them on an appetizer, entrée, and dessert. That’s right; I said we went all out (reference that $73 bill). You’ll have to keep reading to find out what I ordered and how it broke down points wise but what I can share with you here is that I was EXTREMELY satisfied and guilt free about what I ate. In fact, as we walked back to the car (we parked like ½ a mile away and walked) the hubby and I were discussing just that; I was happy that I ate such a yummy meal and while I knew I used lots of points I was totally happy about what I ordered, how much I ate of it, and the feeling of just pure satisfaction minus any guilt!

Following lunch we made our way back home and lounged around the house. As we were relaxing the strangest feeling came over me. I suddenly felt nauseous and it hit me-I’ve been eating loads of fruits and veggies, lean meats, and foods that are good for me and although lunch was delicious my body wasn’t pleased just mere hours after. Interesting concept for me-when you give your body what it “needs” you feel so much better and energized (at least that’s been my experience the last two weeks) and when we then feed our body what we “want” it becomes upset and bogged down. Has this ever happened to you? Thankfully a nap, a big bowl of fruit, and a Nalgene full of water later I was feeling MUCH better. What’s the lesson learned? Make healthy choices, eat foods that are good for you and feel so so so so so much better. If that’s the expected outcome than bring on the fruits, veggies, and lean meats!

We finished date day with a super fun outing to see the Gwinnett Gladiators play hockey. They didn’t look super good and they definitely didn’t win, but we had fun nonetheless! This morning I got up and baked a cake before church but get this-I didn’t have a SINGLE bite of it. We had friends coming over and the host in me decided that there must be dessert with a meal so instantly I thought cake. Luckily my recent decisions to make better choices involving the foods I put in my body took charge when I was at the grocery store and I wisely chose to make a cake I knew I wouldn’t eat-yellow with chocolate frosting (I just don’t do chocolate frosting). How many of you have done that? Have you put your needs and your goals first? Are you taking care of you?

Amazingly, when I made the plans for tonight for our friends to come over I (nor the friend I was planning with) had no idea that today was Super Bowl Sunday. Luckily I had lots of yummy treats on hand that I could throw together quickly. Who knew you could host a Super Bowl party with healthy snacks? That’s right, we had oranges, apples, hummus with carrots, chips with salsa and cheese and crackers. I myself didn’t partake in any of the pre-dinner snacking (another amazing fete in my eyes). For dinner I used a recipe passed on to me from a good friend- it was super yummy and ridiculously easy to make (keep reading for the recipe)! How did your Super Bowl experience go? Did you stick to your goals? Did the snacker in you take over? If it did, do NOT give up on yourself. Tomorrow is a new day. Remember, ONE day at a time! Until tomorrow: good eats!

Saturday Food Breakdown:

Breakfast included a banana (0 points) prior to doing a portion of the P90X yoga video. Have any of you ever tried that video? I wanted to die. Mr. Horton and his downward dogs are for the birds.

Lunch was an array of deliciousness. We started with the calamari that was served with a garlic aioli sauce that was to die for. It was super light and airy and wasn’t heavily fried. I had 3 oz for 4 points. For my entrée I steered clear of the fried options and the platters that are usually oh so yummy and instead opted for the Pecan Crusted Salmon Trout served with whipped sweet potatoes and a green bean and mushroom mixture. I had ½ of the fish (6 points), ½ of the potatoes (2 points), and finished the green beans (3 points) but opted to not eat the fried onions served on top. For dessert I ordered the apple tart (I had 5 points worth). It was way lighter than an apple pie I’ve ever had and way yummy. It was served with ½ c of homemade cinnamon ice cream (4 points). Altogether my lunch was 24 points-5 less than my daily allotment and nowhere close to my weekly points!

Snack was a big bowl of fruit with 1/8 c of Greek Yogurt and 1 T of almonds for 2 points.

Dinner was 3 small slices of pizza for 24 points (seriously, pizza isn’t worth that many points). Dinner put me into my weekly points and I used 21 of them leaving me with 28 extra for the week.

Sunday Food Breakdown:

With all the running around this morning getting the house tidy, baking, and getting ready for church we totally forgot about breakfast-terrible I know. My first meal of the day was lunch when I made another Turkey Bacon with Avocado sandwich. It was yummy and 12 points (see the other day for the total breakdown).

Dinner was a new recipe. I made sweet and sour pork (you could use chicken if you prefer) with rice. The pork mixture was 5 points per serving and the rice was 5 points for 1 c.




I had 7 points left so I decided to satisfy my sweet tooth (yes I know this isn’t a healthy choice but it’s better to partake than refuse the craving and binge) and had 3 T of the vanilla frosting I had left over from making the laces on the chocolate cake (yes, I can be creative too, we had a football cake). However, after indulging just slightly I threw the rest of the container, and its temptation, in the trash and felt highly justified doing it! I used a total of 30 points today (one over my target) so I have 27 extra points left for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment