Monday, February 14, 2011

Just another day

Valentine’s has arrived. A day full of flowers, cards, “I love you”, dinners, candies, and gifts. A day for business owners to pad their bottom line. As a female I love all the things that Valentine’s offers, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve come to realize that I don’t need a specific day, especially one created by Corporate America, set aside each calendar year for me to let my hubby know how much I love him. Sure I love flowers, sure I love candies, sure I love going out on dates. However, I don’t need February 14th to roll around just to get them-or the “love” that this holiday is supposed to be about. In fact, I try to show my husband just how much he means to me every day.

So what are our Valentine’s plans? Good question! For V-Day 2011 the Foxes will be chowing down on some delicious homemade vegetable soup that I threw in the crockpot this morning and let cook all day while I was at work. We will probably follow our usual nightly routine of just spending quality time together and we will end the night with a yummy treat I made last night. We also decided instead of giving gifts anymore we would find an activity that we could enjoy together. This year that activity is going to a Rock Climbing gym near us and, well you guessed it, rock climbing (we will probably have to wait a few weeks though because Michael hurt his leg playing Frisbee this past weekend). I’m super excited about it. I’ve never done it, but with my new found motivation for working out and trying to get fit I thought it could be quite the adventure. What are your plans for the holiday? Does it involve food? Did you plan ahead? All too often, especially for me for sure, holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, V-Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day) always seem to revolve around food. Sadly that also means that I usually overindulge and end up feeling not only guilty but miserable from the indulging. Luckily this year I have made numerous changes to my lifestyle and holidays will no longer stand in my way!

I wish you and yours a very happy love day! Whatever your plans, don’t forget what this day is TRULY about and make sure you love that person wholeheartedly and unconditionally! A great friend who is oh so wise reminded me “we only have one life and we only live it once” so make the most of it! Until tomorrow: good eats!

Saturday Food Breakdown:

Brunch was a salad I made using spinach, blueberries, cucumber, onions, ½ sweet potato (2), croutons (1), blue cheese (1) and dressing (3) for a total of 7 points.

Dinner was my chicken casserole (recipe in a previous blog) with 1 c of rice for 14 points.

Dessert was a fruit cobbler I made with ¾ c of vanilla ice cream for 18 points. It was my indulgence for the week and it was AH-MAY-ZING!

I ran 2.5 miles today and walked another 1.5 miles.

Fruit Cobbler

1 package of strawberries

¼ c of sugar

1 box yellow cake mix

1 stick of butter

Cut up strawberries and then cover with sugar and let sit for a while to juice. Once ready, pour strawberries into a glass baking dish and top with the box of cake mix. Melt your butter and then pour on top of your cake mix and then place in oven to bake on 350 for about 30-35 minutes or until the cake is to your liking. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!

Sunday Food Break Down:

Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal (8 points) with all the usual suspects present and just as delicious as ever.

Lunch was leftover chicken casserole and rice for 14 points.

Dinner was a turkey sandwich with French fries (I’ve been craving them) for 20 points which means I used 13 extra points.

I went for a run and walked afterwards and then did power 90 sculpt.

Monday Food Breakdown:

Breakfast was an English muffin with butter for 4 points.

Lunch was Cajun Crab Dip from Publix with crackers for 14 points.

Snacks included strawberries, blueberries, carrots, a pickle, and a pack of cheese and chives crackers for 5 points.

Dinner was my homemade veggie soup that cooked all day while I was at work. I had 3 c for 5.5 points. Super yummy and super filling. A great choice for a light dinner before tomorrow mornings weigh in!

Vegetable Crockpot Soup

1 pkg frozen mixed veggies

¾ pkg of frozen okra

5 small potatoes cubed

1 46 oz can of tomato juice

1 can of veggie broth

1 beef bullion cube dissolved in 1 cup of boiling water

1 pkg of mushrooms

**mix all your ingredients together in a crockpot, set to low and let cook all day**

1 comment:

  1. So yesterday was a crazy day. Wait until you see the conclusion of my food breakdown. We spent Valentine's Day at the gym with our trainer, then dinner at home (as usual), then stuffing wedding invitations. Halfway done then we can start hand delivering them! :)

    Breakfast:
    coffee with cream (2 pts), berries, yogurt, and nuts (3 pts), and an apple (0 pts).

    Lunch:
    Salad with vinegar as dressing (0 pts), veggies, and salsa (0 pts).

    Snack:
    Winter squash (2 pts), veggies and salsa (0 pts), and a grapefruit (0 pts).

    Dinner and dessert:
    6.5 oz. of ribeye steak that Shuo grilled (7 pts), sauteed collard greens, mushrooms, and onions (1 pt for oil), and a paleo-friendly concoction of 1/4 C yogurt, 1/2 Tbsp honey, 3 Tbs unsweetened coconut flakes, 1 Tbsp hazelnut spread (ground hazelnuts basically), and some cinnamon and cardamon (7 pts).

    Total points used for the day: 22. Why did I not eat the other 7? Because I was satisfied and couldn't imagine eating anything else. I'll balance it out by overeating later this week. :)

    ReplyDelete