Tuesday, February 22, 2011

MIA

MIA

While I would normally apologize for my MIA status, this time I’m not. I’ve been giving a lot of thought to this idea of the blog helping motivate me, helping me along this journey, etc…and while it has it has also gotten in the way a time or two also. From the beginning I stated that I wanted this to be a lifestyle change-NOT a diet. After last Tuesday’s weigh in it became just that-a diet. I became obsessed with why my weigh-in didn’t go in my favor. I poured over my food journal and my activities log. I read back through my blog. I recalculated points. To say the least it wasn’t a healthy week mentally. I was frustrated, hurt, and while I put on a happy face and pretended to be okay with the scale, that’s not what this blog is about. So, in the name of TOTAL honesty, I have to say: I was PISSED. I had been working my butt off. I was eating within my points. I was doing all the right things. Granted, looking through my food journal it’s easy to see where I went wrong (all the super heavy meals at the end of the week right before weigh-in) but 5 lbs-SERIOUSLY?

With all that on my mind I decided to take a step back. While I continued to write down every bite I put in my mouth I didn’t obsess over the calculations and the points. In fact, on Friday night I enjoyed every bit of my date night with the hubby and didn’t one time hesitate to enjoy myself because of the points (I did take them into consideration when selecting a destination though and chose Korean BBQ over the always disastrous but incredibly delicious Taco Mac).

Every once in a while you just have to take a step back. As I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again, this is a JOURNEY and I’d be totally UNREALISTIC if I thought for one second that every step of it was going to be perfect. I’m going to give in to indulgences, I’m going to skip workouts, I’m going to live life, because that’s what its there for. But, the next day (or next meal) I’m going to get right back in stride and keep moving forward.

While I did take the week off, and enjoyed the “rest”, I’d be lying like a dog if I told you that my body was happy about it. As I reported in earlier blogs when I was working out consistently and eating healthier foods (I didn’t go crazy this week, I still ate at home, didn’t have fried foods, etc…I just wasn’t having meals like fish and veggies) my body was in complete motivation mode and providing me with ample amounts of energy and great sleep. This week, however, I felt sluggish and unmotivated and to top it off I wasn’t getting great sleep (hence my early departure last night at 8 PM-that hasn’t happened since I was like 5). It’s amazing how our body rewards us when we take care of it! Weird, I know!

So here’s to a new week. I weighed in this morning and was at exactly the same spot I was after last week’s weigh-in. I didn’t gain-I stayed the same. Now to move forward; one step and one day at a time. How do you stay motivated when something let’s you down? I’d love to hear your tips and suggestions. I would also love to hear some tips/suggestions for ways to keep from becoming obsessed with counting points and calories. I want this to be a lifestyle and I don’t want to spend the rest of my life consumed with that constant voice in the back of my head discussing points consumed vs. points left for the day-that just isn’t any way to live.

I will get back to food breakdowns with tomorrow’s post! Until then: good eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment